Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What am I missing this week? Space Mountain.

This one is a no-brainer.  This week I've really been missing Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom.  This love affair started when I was very young.  The obvious appeal is that it is a fun coaster.  There are subtleties, though, that make this ride so much more.  It becomes more of an emotional attachment or a magical memory.  First, let's just talk about the outside appearance.  How cool is the design?! When I see it for the first time while riding on the Monorail from the Transportation and Ticket Center, my eyes light up.  It has a futuristic look but at the same time it's clear this ride has been a staple since pretty much the beginning.

Next, I am totally missing the music played in the star tunnel while you wait to ride Space Mountain.  It is futuristic-sounding music but is also very peaceful.  I would love to put that music on as I fall asleep at night.  Who's with me?

To infinity and beyond! View of the climb from the PeopleMover
Ok, now to the ride part.  I love how "simple" the ride appears to be but still packs a punch.  There are no inversions yet I'm still usually screaming like a child throughout the ride.  One reason this "simple" ride is so great is because it's in the dark.  The darkness is especially great if you are riding in the front seat.  There is nothing in front of you to see where you are going and it is so much fun.  You're thinking the car is about to turn left, and then it whips you to the right!

Two things I always make sure I do when riding?  1. As we are climbing up to the top of the coaster in the beginning, I turn around to wave to the people coming through Space Mountain on the PeopleMover.  2. Later in the ride, when we are whizzing back through that same area past the people climbing to the top of the coaster, I scream as loud as possible to get them psyched for a fun ride.  Silly, but that's just me.

About to blast off! Front row of course!
Finally, let's talk about the exit to the ride.  Disney sure did think of the whole experience.  To exit, you step onto a bouncy moving walkway that brings you through different scenes showing the technology of tomorrow.  These scenes are something you grow fond of over time.  Then finally at the very end of the moving walkway, there are cameras and TV screens so you can check your hair and make sure you look presentable when you walk off the ride.

So you see, there are many elements to Space Mountain that make you want to ride it again and again and then ride it with your kids, and one day with your grandkids.

That's what I'm missing this week!  Where does Space Mountain rank on your list?  Is there anything funny or specific you always do when you ride it?  Who has seen it when the lights were on?  Leave your comments below!

'Til next week!  Check out my Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment