Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Por Favor Mantengase Alejado de las Puertas...I'm missing the Monorail!

This week I'm really missing zipping around the Seven Seas Lagoon on the Monorail.  This is one of many things I love that came from Walt Disney's forward and innovative thinking.  The Monorail system at Disney is by far the superior mode of transportation to get around the World - well if you are traveling through the Magic Kingdom area or to Epcot.  Plus, it's cool.

The benefit of taking the highway in the sky is that it makes, typically, quick and efficient stops.  It also doesn't have to deal with traffic lights.  Traffic, in general, isn't an issue either, except if your monorail is holding due to a monorail in front of it.  But really, who cares when you've got an air conditioned and comfy car, and you're looking down on Disney property?  Another thing I love about the Monorail is the ambiance it creates once you're in it.  It really does create the effect that "you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy." (Walt Disney)  It's a detail that many people probably overlook, but it's an important detail that you can't park your car anywhere near the Magic Kingdom.

Monorail Red coming through!


Now let's talk about our Monorail Man.  You know, the guy who says, "Please stand clear of the doors."  This guy's voice can elicit childhood memories in a moment.  His narration as you whiz to your destination is simply perfect.  Not to mention, he knows how to speak Spanish!  As you probably know, the phrase "Por Favor Mantengase Alejado de las Puertas" has become quite popular over the years.  It has made it's way to shirts (I own one) and candy! It's probably the only sentence I can say in Spanish.  I would really love to be stepping onto a Monorail car right now, listening to Monorail Man's sweet, smooth voice.

I'm also missing the Epcot Monorail.  This Monorail is fun because it feels like you're going on a mini-roadtrip.  You get to ride out next to the road and see all of the cars riding in and out of Disney.  Plus once you get to Epcot, you think you're headed for the station but nope! You first get to ride around the park to see all that Epcot has to offer! Talk about building the excitement! I just love it.

Finally, I miss riding in the front of the Monorail.  This is something that isn't possible anymore.  Disney suspended this in 2009.  Riding in the front was something really special because you had to be lucky enough to request it before anyone else did.  I had the opportunity to ride in the front a few times and I must say the view through that big window is marvelous.  You really felt like VIP riding up there all alone with the driver.

Riding in the front!

Look at that view as we enter the Magic Kingdom Monorail Station!


Well, that's what I'm missing this week.  The Monorail is so great, can you imagine if Disney decided to expand the system to other destinations in Disney World?  Where would you want them to expand to?

Can you guess what my favorite part of riding on the Monorail is?  When it goes through the Contemporary.  It makes me smile every time.

What's your favorite part about the Monorail?  What's your favorite color Monorail?  Leave your comments below!

Also, check out my new Facebook page featuring Disney Parks vacation tips and Disney discussions!  Click Here!  And follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/missdisney365

See you real soon!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite thing about the monorail is how fast and seamless it is. My favorite color monorail is silver! Seems classy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I love that guy's voice, I wish he would narrate my life!

    ReplyDelete