Tuesday, August 5, 2014

This Week I'm Missing Disney's Water Parks!

We are now in the month of August.  The summer heat is in full swing and what I'm missing most this week are the Disney Water Parks.  Just like Olaf, I'm loving the idea of summer, and sun, and all things hot - all while drifting down a lazy river or taking in the waves of the Typhoon Lagoon wave pool.  I was fortunate enough to have Disney's Water Parks included in my Annual Pass.  I thoroughly took advantage of being able to walk into one of the water parks, even to just get some sun for a few hours.

My favorite water park out of the two is Typhoon Lagoon.  I love the layout of the park, the theme, and the attractions.  I will just be honest, I love swimming and being in the water, but I am not the best swimmer and I don't like being under the water.  Typhoon Lagoon offers me plenty of attractions to enjoy being at a water park.  First, I LOVE the Crush 'n' Gusher water coaster.  I could probably spend the entire day on this attraction.  You get the opportunity to ride three different slides and you get to ride them with a friend if you want!

Having fun on the Crush 'n' Gusher!


I also have to mention Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool - or as Disney describes it, surf pool.  This is probably a more accurate description.  Instead of continuous small waves for a period of time, this surf pool sends out one humongous wave which then creates a bunch of little waves.  Funny story about the surf pool.  In my many visits, I always noticed how much fun people were having at the very front of the pool where the wave first comes out.  I had a moment of bravery and decided I wanted to experience this fun as well.  I told my husband what I wanted to do and so we started to swim out to the front of the pool.  Halfway there I realized I may be regretting this decision.  Like I said, I am not a great swimmer and I'm only about 5'3".  The floor to the pool disappeared pretty quickly for me.  So we make it out to the front of the pool and now wait for the wave - my legs are exhausted from swimming all the way out there.  Now while we wait, I'm stressing over what I'm going to do when the wave comes.  Do I go under the wave or try to body surf it?! Again, as I said earlier, I don't like going under water.  What was I thinking?!  The wave comes, I go under the wave, I laugh and tell my husband how fun it was.  Now it was time to swim all the way out of the pool and I wanted to get to the edge before the next wave came.  You would think I was swimming for a gold medal! By the time I got to the edge, my arms and legs were jelly.  I will say, although that was stressful, it was also so much fun and I'm so glad I experienced the big wave!

I also have to mention Blizzard Beach and my favorite attraction there.  This park is so fun and again the theme is great - a melting mountain of snow in the middle of Florida.  My favorite attraction there is the Tobaggan Racers.  You are basically flying head first on a mat down a tall hill against 7 other racers.  This is especially great if you are with a large group.

Finally, it would just be wrong to not give a shout out to River Country.  How many of you remember this gem?  Placed on Bay Lake behind the Contemporary Resort, this water park had a wonderful country feel and was just so unique.  I was sad when Disney closed it down but can understand why they did.  River Country, you will always live on in our hearts.

Well that's what I'm missing right now! What is your favorite water park? Are you more of the lazy river type of person or the "thrill slides" type?

See you next week!

Check out my Facebook page!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! My favorite water park is Blizzard Beach. You are right, the Tobaggan Racers are so much fun! My family is competitive, so we could spend a whole day there racing each other!

    ReplyDelete